10 Lesser Known Ways to Avoid Drama
Updated: Nov 17, 2019
How to live a drama free life.
We all know the basic rules for living a drama free life: don't gossip and treat others the way you would like to be treated; but whether you realize it or not, there are seemingly harmless things we do almost everyday that can stir up some mad drama. I'd like to dive in a little deeper into more specific ways to keep the peace in your life.
"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept its mouth shut." - Korean Proverb
1. If someone dumps a load of unwanted gossip on you about someone else's business and then they ask, "And how are you?" reply "I'm fine", and avoid sharing your personal business with them at all costs. Seriously, like, run away.
2. If you're trying to tell a story about something that has happened to someone and you don't have all the details, don't fill in the gaps! This is one way rumors get started! Instead, simply say you don't have all the details to avoid spreading rumors and speculation.
3. Let go of the idea: "You gotta give respect, to get respect." The respect has to begin somewhere, so let it start with you. Respect everyone.
4. If you suspect you've hurt someone's feelings, contact that person immediately and apologize for what you think you did wrong. There's a great chance your suspicions were right and they will be very grateful for your consideration and apology. This is a great way to stop drama before it even starts.
5. Although your social media account is your little piece of personal internet real estate, never use it to express negative feelings about your family, spouse, job, boss, co-workers, etc. Irresponsible social media posts are the biggest drama starters of our generation!
6. If someone begins a conversation with, "Jane Doe told me not to tell but..." end the conversation immediately and kindly remind that person that they were asked to keep a secret and that they should honor that. If you're caught even pretending to hear gossip, you might find yourself being accused of helping it spread. This is also a good way for you avoid accidently giving out someone's personal info that you weren't even supposed to know in the first place. And last tip here: Don't share any secrets with that person!! They're clearly not very good at keeping them!
7. Never, ever, ever, ever flirt with someone else's significant other even if you're joking or if they're flirting back. A jealous lover can destroy your life, or at the very least will throw a fish tank through your windshield. (I've totally witnessed this.)
8. Forgive and forget. Do not hold grudges against someone for petty offenses. Let it go. Grudges will only cause you to treat someone poorly even if they're a genuinely good person who simply made a mistake.
9. Be choosy about your friends. In terms of friendship, always pick quality over quantity. You don't have to be friends with every single person you meet. It's ok to stay away from someone you can sense will be no good for you. Keep good, honest, peace-loving people near, and keep your distance from drama queens and trouble makers.
10. Never seek revenge for any offense. Let God (or karma or the law) take care of that for you. Revenge only prolongs drama and creates more!
"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind." -Mahatma Gandhi