30 Unusual Ways to Burn 100 Calories
Updated: Nov 18, 2019
How to burn calories without exercising.
Saturday: wake up, cook a big breakfast, tidy up the house, wash your car, go shopping with your BFFs and then end the night getting down on the dancefloor. Go home, go to sleep, wake up, and you've just burned 700 calories!
Oftentimes, when we think of burning calories we think of hitting the gym, going to Zumba, jogging in the park, busting out the Wii Fit - but did you know that everything you do that requires movement of your body burns calories? Indeed!
If you're a waiter, at the end of the day you've burned some mega calories running back and forth from kitchen to table and back again for hours and hours. You're a stay at home parent? Chasing after kiddos, playing catch, and roughhousing burns calories! Everything does!
Is vacuuming everyday going to turn you into a supermodel overnight? Nope.
But it WILL help you stay on track with your diet, especially if you're logging your caloric intake and exercise. If you've discovered that you're about to go over your daily calorie allowance, don't freak out. Just go out rake some leaves or go fishing.
So, if the word "exercise" makes you wanna run... the other way... no worries.
Here are 30 realistic and "non-exercisey" activities that you can do (or do MORE of) that will burn 100 calories.
1. Dancing - 20 minutes
2. Vacuuming - 25 minutes
3. Gardening - 30 minutes
4. Do the week's ironing - 40 minutes
5. Raking the leaves - 40 minutes
6. Washing your vehicle (wax and clean out the inside for more burn!) - 30 minutes
7. Fidgeting (yes, fidgeting!) - 1 hour 30 minutes
8. Light housework (dishes, dusting, sweeping, etc) - 20 minutes
9. Grocery shopping - 30 minutes
10. Serious cooking - 40 minutes
11. Give someone a massage - 25 minutes
12. Sit in a Sauna - 15 minutes
13. Rough house with this kids - 25 minutes
14. Chop wood - 15 minutes
15. Take a long nap - 1 hour 25 minutes
16. Rearrange a room - 15 minutes
17. Play pool (billiards) - 35 minutes
18. Bowling - 30 minutes
19. Making Love - 30 minutes
20. Laughing - 1 hour 18 minutes
21. Play Scrabble with friends - 2 hours
22. Go fishing - 25 minutes
23. Play table tennis (ping-pong) - 25 minutes
24. Singing - 40 minutes
25. Putt-Putt Golf - 30 minutes
26. Walk the dog - 25
27. Sit on an exercise ball - 1 hour
28. Chew gum - 1 hour 40 minutes
29. Walk to work - 20 minutes
30. Drink 4 glasses of ice water. Your body will burn up to 25 calories trying to warm the water when it enters your body.
Note: Activities and caloric information were obtained from various internet sources. "Times" presented here are averages as some sites presented slightly different information.